When your baby reaches six months, they should have a mixed diet (a variety of solid food and milk). In that case, apple puree can be an ideal choice for you. The saying, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away,” is quite accurate. They are naturally sweet, filled with fiber, and provide multiple health benefits for a newborn.
Follow our step-by-step instructions to make the first apple puree for your baby.
- 1 medium eating gala apple.
- Boiled water.
Prep Time: 4 minutes.
Cook Time: 10 minutes.
Note: Always wash your hands before you start preparing your baby’s food.
1. Take a fresh apple. Feel free to use any type of apple. Ensure the apples are sweet and not sour.
2. Wash the apple and peel the skin using a peeler or knife.
3. Cut the apple into small slices/ chunks. You can use an apple corer & divider for slices.
4. Place slices into a pan with enough water to completely cover apples. Leave to cook apple chunks for 10 minutes or until soft & tender.
5. Transfer the steamed apples to a blender. You can also use a food processor or hand blender. If you don’t have blender or food processor you can use a big spoon to mash the apples completely.
6. Add some of the water used in steaming the apples. The amount of water you add depends on how smooth or thick you want the apple puree to be.
7. Blend them until smooth or runny. If needed add more water.
8. Now your apple puree is ready. Pour them into a serving bowl.
You can pour the extra apple puree into a bowl. Cover the bowl with a lid and keep it in the refrigerator. It is recommended that baby food should not store more than 48 hours in the refrigerator.
To warm the apple puree, place it in a bowl of hot water. Do not use a microwave.
Author: Alvina Emmy
Hi, I’m Alvina Emmy, a full-time mother of two gorgeous kids and a part-time blogger. Being a single mum for the last 5 years has not only made me a stronger human being but has also fostered my emotional growth as an individual. I wasn’t a know-it-all from the beginning. I learned through mistakes. Parentloves.com is my humble attempt to lend a helping hand to all those new parents, soon-to-be parents and caregivers who want only the best for their kids.