This post was most recently updated on June 8th, 2019
Feeding your baby is one of the most important things you can do to ensure your baby’s health, as well as his or her survival. You can feed your baby with a bottle and build a feeling of closeness between you and your baby. But as a new mom, you need to know what is the safest way to feed a bottle to a baby.
Here are some tips and information on how to bottle feed a baby
1. Holding your baby in your arms and looking into their eyes as you feed them. Hold your baby fairly upright and support their head so they can breathe and swallow comfortably.
2. It is important for you to never feed the baby when he’s lying down. So the formula can flow into the baby’s middle ear, causing an infection.
3. Check the temperature of the bottle milk before feeding. That it is not too hot and not too cold. You can check this by using your wrist. It should feel slightly warm but never hot.
4. When feeding your baby, keep the teat full of milk, so that your baby doesn’t swallow too much air. Burp your baby in between feeds and after every feed.
5. When feeding your baby he/she may need a short break from the feed. It is quite normal for babies to stop drinking for a while and then start again.
6. Always feed your baby when they’re hungry, and don’t try to force them to finish a bottle at times.
7. After every feed, make sure the bottle is thoroughly rinsed and cleaned.
The benefits of bottle-feeding:
If you are a mother who has chosen not to breastfeed, and who can’t breastfeed, you must never, ever feel guilty about doing so. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that mothers who are not breastfeeding use an iron-fortified infant formula. Here are some of the advantages of bottle feeding.
- Babies who are breastfed are fed more frequently than those that are fed infant formula. This is because infant formula takes longer to digest than breast milk. This advantage giving a mother more time to rest between feed times.
- Many breastfeeding mothers are anxious as to whether or not her baby is getting enough milk. Mothers who give their child infant formula don’t have this problem. Because they know exactly how much she has fed her baby.
- A woman’s life changes after childbirth. Bottle feeding allows a mother to return to a semblance of her previous life. She can wear the clothes she wants, eat exactly what she wants and take any medication she wants to.
That’s all, I hope this article helped you learn how to bottle feed your baby. If you liked this article, then please share with your friend.