Bunk beds are super efficient furniture that can help to save your space and accommodate more people in a room.
We reviewed some of the best bunk beds with stairs keeping your children’s safety in mind.
You can also opt for more compact bunk bed for your rooms, if you are super concerned about saving space.
All in all, these bunk beds are not super pricey and built with solid wood for durability. Most of these beds features drawers or trundles for extra storage room.
Here are our top 10 picks for best bunk beds with staircase!
Oh and if you are a short mom and expecting a baby you can check out review on Low Profile Versatile Cribs for short moms.
|Twin Over Full Stair Stepper Bed|
|Discovery World Furniture Full Staircase Bunk Bed|
|Bedz King Stairway Bunk Beds|
|Harper&Bright Designs Bunk Bed|
|Bedz King Twin over Full Stairway Bunk Beds|
|Bedz King Twin over Twin Stairway Drawers Bunk Beds|
|Discovery World Furniture Twin Over Bunk Bed|
|DONCO Twin Over Full Futon Mission Stairway Bunk Bed|
|WeYoung Twin Over Full Bunk Bed|
|Harper & Bright Designs Wood Bunk Bed|
10 Best Bunk Beds With Stairs 2021 Review
Click a link below to jump to the relevant section
- 1.Twin Over Full Stair Stepper Bed
- 2.Discovery World Furniture Twin Over Full Staircase Bunk Bed
- 3.Bedz King Stairway Bunk Beds
- 4.Harper&Bright Designs Bunk Bed
- 5.Bedz King Twin over Full Stairway Bunk Beds
- 6.Bedz King Twin over Twin Stairway Drawers Bunk Beds
- 7.Discovery World Furniture Twin Over Full Stair Stepper Bunk Bed
- 8.DONCO Twin Over Full Futon Mission Stairway Bunk Bed
- 9. WeYoung Twin Over Full Bunk Bed
- 10. Harper & Bright Designs Wood Bunk Bed
- What to Look for When Buying The Best Bunk Bed with Stairs
- Staircases vs. Ladders for bunk beds- why staircases are better?
- Conclusion and Editor’s Choice
1.Twin Over Full Stair Stepper Bed
The Stair Stepper Bed from Discovery World Furniture is one of the best bunk beds with stairs.
The standout feature of the bunk bed is it’s true white color. It will change the aesthetics of your bedroom and also help to compliment if you have white themed decor.
The unit is capable of holding 350-400 lbs combined on top and bottom. So, whether you are buying it for yourself or your children, this bunk bed can take the load.
Overall, there are 7 drawers for storage— 3 under the bed and 4 beside the staircase. Additionally, the bottom of the staircase is left open for additional storage.
The bunk bed feels very solid when you assemble it. It’s made from furniture grade pine and MDF. No chances of wobbling whatsoever!
If you have a partner, it will take 3-4 hours to set up. The instructions are fairly easy and won’t cause headaches.
The only issue we found was that the top guardrail is a bit small. A few more inches of height would have made it more child friendly.
- Suitable for adults and children both.
- Packed with storage spaces.
- Staircase can be attached to left or right.
- Sturdy and solid.
- Extra furniture set is available for purchase with the bunk bed.
- Top guardrail could have been higher.
2.Discovery World Furniture Twin Over Full Staircase Bunk Bed
Discovery World makes some of the most awesome bunk beds in the market. This a twin over full staircase bunk bed that is built to last for years.
It’s constructed from solid wood and has a gap of 24-inches between the top and bottom bunk mattress.
You can’t separate the top and bottom but you can maneuver the staircase to either side of the bed. It’s a great girl best bunk bed with stairs because of the large surface.
This unit comes with a trundle and that makes it very suitable for small homes with more people. You can also buy separate drawers and use it instead of the trundle.
There are 4 drawers to the side of the staircase. you can also keep books in the crate, which is attached inside the bed.
The top bunk can accommodate up to 200 lbs, so make sure to make someone sleep at the top who is lightweight.
Overall, it’s a polished and sturdy furniture that will help to save your space.
- Trundle can is convertible to drawers (you need to buy the drawers).
- 4 drawers for storage.
- Easy to assemble.
- Guardrails included.
- Solid wood construction.
- Couldn’t find any cons to mention.
3.Bedz King Stairway Bunk Beds
If you are looking for bunk beds with drawers in stairs, this bunk bed from Bedz King is just perfect for you.
The most interesting thing about this bunk bed is the ability to convert it into two separate twin size beds. On top of that, you can attach the staircase to the left or right side of the bed during assembly.
The bed is very sturdy and remains stable when stacked up! The pine wood construction might feel soft to touch, but it sure provides durability.
For storage, you have 3 drawers under the staircase and two drawers under the bottom bunk. The bottom drawers have wheels under them for easy access. Don’t use a rug under the bed, as it will restrict the wheel’s movement.
As a bonus, you can also buy a separate trundle from the manufacturer and convert the bottom space into another bed.
The weight limit is 175 lbs for top bunk and 200 lbs for the bottom bunk. So, it’s more suitable for children and young adults.
Assembling will take you around 5-6 hours. The instructions are super clear, so it shouldn’t be much of a headache if you are doing it on your own.
Being one of the most top rated bunk beds, it’s totally worth your money.
- Convertible into single twin beds.
- Staircase can be shifted to either sides.
- Large storage space under the stairs and bed.
- Built from solid pine wood.
- Sturdy top guardrails.
- Pine wood is soft, so your child can bite and destroy (wood is non toxic, period).
4.Harper&Bright Designs Bunk Bed
The trundle bunk bed from Harper & Bright is the most affordable bunk beds we have in this list.
Though we don’t recommend this for adults, but we can categorize this bed as a ‘little boy bunk bed with stairs’.
Nevertheless, it’s a great bunk bed that has 3 big drawers underneath the staircase. The 4th drawer has been eliminated to make the unit more secure and suitable for small children.
The addition of a trundle makes the bunk bed more appealing along with the bright white color.
The top bunk has a weight limit of 280 lbs and the bottom has 300 lbs. It will be safe enough for children under 6 years old.
Assembling the bed is relatively easier than some of the other bunk beds in this list. So, all in all, you won’t be disappointed buying this bunk bed.
- Affordable price.
- Maintains high standard of safety.
- Durable pine wood construction.
- Stairs can be shifted on both sides.
- Feels a bit wobbly when it reaches the weight limit.
5.Bedz King Twin over Full Stairway Bunk Beds
Here’s yet another bunk bed from Beds King. You won’t know the quality until you get this for real. It’s one of the best twin over full bunk bed with stairs!
The construction is fairly sturdy and remains stable after assembling. The Brazilian pine wood keeps the cost low and also adds durability to the unit.
We loved how spacious the drawers are beneath the stairs. And especially the non slip strips on the stairs make it very safe for small children.
A great thing about the unit is that you can use it from any side you want. You can change the position of the staircase and as well as access the trundle from both the front and rear side.
The only issue that we can mention is the capacity of the trundle. It can take only up to 7 inches of relatively lightweight mattress. So, if you decide not to use the trundle, you can use it as a drawer to store different stuff.
Apart from this, the bunk bed looks appealing and worth purchasing.
- Four spacious under stair drawers.
- Trundle can be accessed from the back and the front.
- Stairs are attachable to the left or right.
- Non slip strips on the stairs.
- Durable and feels solid.
- Trundle doesn’t support large and heavy mattress.
6.Bedz King Twin over Twin Stairway Drawers Bunk Beds
The twin over twin bunk bed with storage from Bedz King is a reasonably priced furniture with all the useful features for saving space.
It’s noteworthy feature is it’s storage space. It has 3 large and spacious drawers under the staircase. On top of that, there are two open storage space beside the staircase that goes all the way to the back of the bed. Though there is no trundle, the space is kept open for storing additional stuff. Great for small homes!
The stairs are totally safe if you are buying it for your children. The surface has safety grip strips, so the chances of falling is less. The option to move the staircase left or right makes the unit even more versatile.
The bunk bed has a weight limit of 175 lbs on top and 200 lbs on the bottom part. It’s mostly built for children. However, adults can still use it if they are within the limit because the unit is very solid and stable.
The only thing that we found problematic was the top guard rails. They looked very thin and low quality. But that won’t be much of a problem considering the overall quality and value of the bed.
- Convertible into two separate twin beds.
- Lots of space for storage.
- Safety grips on the stairs.
- Stairs can be attached on either side.
- Solid and stable.
- The top rails feel flimsy.
7.Discovery World Furniture Twin Over Full Stair Stepper Bunk Bed
One of the things we love about this bunk bed with trundle and stair is the color. If you opt for the white one, you will see it has a true white color like the one we reviewed earlier.
The construction is made from pine and MDF. Pine provides durability and MDF provides a smooth surface for the white color to stay longer. So, great for aesthetics!
This a twin over full bed and both the beds can be separated and used as single beds. It can hold 200 lbs possibly on the bottom and on the top a little bit less. But good enough for lightweight adults and children.
The trundle has twin bed size and you can remove it and use it as a separate storage space. Other storage space includes 4 drawers to the side of the staircase.
Assembling can take you between 6-8 hours if you are doing it alone. Nevertheless, it’s worth spending time and money for the unit. The instructions could have been clearer but not too crazy to stop your work.
- True white color adds great ambience to your room.
- Spacious drawers for storage.
- Detachable beds.
- Trundle is removable.
- Nothing to mention.
8.DONCO Twin Over Full Futon Mission Stairway Bunk Bed
The Donco Bunk Bed is one of the most unique and quality bunk beds with stairs.
It features a full futon bed at the bottom and that’s something you can hardly find in the market. You can either set the bottom as a couch or a full size bed. You just need a full size futon to make it work.
This is a great space saving furniture as it features drawers under each step and large drawers underneath the bottom bunk. Just keep in mind that the bottom is not made for holding heavier stuff.
The bunk bed looks and feels very solid. Considering the fact that it can hold only 160 lbs on either of the bed, it’s more suitable for children.
The staircase can be placed left or side during assembly. But you can’t separate the two beds like some of the others on our list.
The price, quality and features looks very appealing and would serve you for years. The only complaint we have is the height between the futon bed and the top. The manufacturer could have made the bottom drawers a bit more short and added more space under the top bed.
- Full futon bed that can be converted into a bed and couch easily.
- Easy to assemble.
- Huge storage spaces.
- Staircase can be assembled to the left or right.
- The steps do not have any grip. So if you wearing socks it may felt very smooth and slippery.
9. WeYoung Twin Over Full Bunk Bed
This cool bunk bed with stairs from WeYoung provides ample storage space for your kid’s toys and stuff. At the same time, it will not break your bank.
The bottom is a full bed with a twin bed on the top. The bottom bed can be separated and used individually.
It’s manufactured from solid pine wood and plywood. The finish is child-safe and no varnish smell comes out.
You need to keep in mind that the staircase can only fit in to the right of the bed. So, before you purchase, you need to take plan where you want to position the bed.
Assembling the unit is fairly easy. But there are locations where we found holes are missing. That add more time and effort to the assembling process.
Overall, we are quite satisfied with the build quality and usefulness of this bunk bed.
- Long lasting child-safe color.
- Beds are convertible into two separate beds.
- Large storage holes under the staircase.
- The drilling holes on some parts are placed improperly or missing.
10. Harper & Bright Designs Wood Bunk Bed
The Harper & Bright solid wood bunk bed with stairs is a quality product made to last a long time.
We loved how they mixed MDF, plywood and pine wood in different sections and gave more stability and durability to the bed.
The weight limit is higher than some of the bunk beds in this list. The top can accommodate 175 lbs and the bottom 275 lbs. The trundle is also quite sturdy and capable of holding 175 lbs. Great for adults and children!
You will get 4 drawers on the side of the stair that can store a lot of things. So, if you own a small apartment, it can save you tons of space.
The design looks very sleek and modern. If you have a modern looking home, it can easily fit in.
You will around 4-6 hours for assembling this unit. But surely your hardwork will pay off as the bunk bed is of high quality.
- Four large side staircase drawers.
- Easy to assemble.
- Extremely well built.
- High weight capacity.
- Staircase can only be attached to the designated side.
What to Look for When Buying The Best Bunk Bed with Stairs
1. Safety parameters
A bunk bed can pose risks if you don’t look for the following safety parameters:
- Don’t let children under 6 sleep on the top bunk. With staircases, the chances of falling are pretty much limited.
- There should be at least one set of guard rails on each side of the top bunk. The height must be at least 5-inches. Guard rails provide safety for both children and adults.
- The top bunk has a lower weight limit compared to the lower bunk. Normally, metal bunk beds have a weight limit of 200 lbs on top and 500 lbs on the bottom. So, heavier people must sleep on the lower bunk.
- Complies with all CPSC guidelines.
2. Bunk bed sizes
- Twin over full: The twin over full is one of the most popular bunk beds in the market. With this model, two adults can sleep on the bottom and a single person on top.
- Twin over twin: Twin over twin bunk beds are more narrow and space saving than the twin over full. But the downside is it can accommodate only two individuals at a time.
- Bunk bed with trundle: The trundle is the most interesting feature that you can find in modern bunk beds. It’s an additional bed that can be stored beneath the bottom bed. It works like drawer and you can even use it as a storage space if you don’t need the bed.
- Standard loft: Standard lofts have only one bed that is elevated to a considerable height. You can use the empty space beneath for storing stuff or to set up a work desk.
- Triple bunk bed: If you have more than 3-4 people living in a single room, triple bunk beds can be a great option.
3. Choice of materials
You can choose between steel, softwood and hardwood for your bunk bed.
If budget is your main concern, a steel bunk bed will do the job. But keep in mind, if you have someone over 200-250 lbs weight to sleep on the top bunk, it’s best to go with a wooden model.
Pine is the most popular softwood. But if you want something more sturdier that will last ages, a hardwood bunk bed made from oak or poplar will be great.
4. Extra storage space
If you can have the privilege of an extra storage space within your bunk bed, then it’s worth spending a bit more.
We reviewed some of the coolest bunk beds with drawers inside the staircase and bottom of the bed.
If you have a small apartment, this is the feature you want.
5. Stair surface
The stairs of your bunk bed should not be slippery. Read the reviews and see if people are talking about slipping. Additionally, you can attach non-slip strips to the stair’s surfaces for protection.
6. Types of mattress for bunk beds
For bunk beds, memory foams work best. These mattresses are lightweight and also comfortable.
Avoid using air beds and other models that are stacked with springs. Such mattresses might become too heavy to handle for your bed.
Staircases vs. Ladders for bunk beds- why staircases are better?
You need to know the pros and cons of both ladders and staircases before coming to a judgment.
Pros of bunk bed with ladder
- Has a much smaller footprint and good for small spaces.
- Can be detached and used based on the placement of the bed.
Cons of bunk bed with ladder
- Narrow footing surface can result in falls and injury.
- Slipping is common in ladders.
Pros of bunk bed with staircases
- Larger footing surface eliminates risk.
- Extra storage space under the staircases.
Cons bunk bed with staircases
- Might take more space than the ladders.
A staircases equipped bunk bed offers more versatility and safety. And considering the fact that you are already saving space buying a bunk bed, staircases are better than ladders.
Conclusion and Editor’s Choice
Everytime we review something, we try to recommend the best among all the others to help you make a swift purchase.
In this review of the best bunk beds with stairscase, we think the Discovery World Furniture Twin Over Full Bed is the one that surpasses the others in terms of quality and versatility.
Considering the fact, you only need a bunk bed for accommodating two of your growing children, this bed is worth buying.