This post was most recently updated on November 13th, 2019
The feeling of carrying a newborn who is light as a feather and smells like vanilla ice cream is the best feeling in the world. I guess that’s why kangaroo mommies and daddies are so fond of baby wearing. Look, it’s the 21st century. You don’t have to surgically turn yourself into a kangaroo to carry your little one around hands-free.
We have a much more realistic and easier option- baby carriers. They comes in various sizes and are super comfy. It is designed to help you do your daily chores, run errands or even hike up a mountain while your munchkin relaxes against you.
Since I am dedicating this segment to carriers particularly designed for newborn babies, I had to pay extra attention to the comfort and breathability of these products. Now that I have finally picked the top 10 best baby carriers for newborn, let me get started with the reviews straightaway.
|BABYBJORN Baby Carrier|
|Baby K’tan Baby Wrap Carrier|
|Moby Classic Baby Wrap Carrier|
|Sleepy Wrap Ergo Carrier|
|Boba Baby Wrap Carrier|
|Baby Tula Free to Grow Carrier|
|LILLEbaby Six position Carrier|
|Hip Baby Wrap Ring Sling Baby Carrier|
|Ring Sling Mesh Baby Wrap Carrier|
10 Best Baby Carriers For Newborn 2019
Click a link below to jump to the relevant section
- 1.BABYBJORN Baby Carrier
- 2. Baby K’tan Baby Wrap Carrier
- 3.Moby Classic Baby Wrap Carrier
- 4.Sleepy Wrap Ergo Carrier
- 5.Boba Baby Wrap Carrier
- 6.Baby Tula Free-to-Grow Baby Carrier
- 7.LILLEbaby Six position Carrier
- 8.Ergobaby Carrier
- 9.Hip Baby Wrap Ring Sling Baby Carrier
- 10.Ring Sling Mesh Baby Wrap Carrier
- Baby Carrier for Newborn- Buying Guide
- Different Types of Baby Carriers and Their Individual Pros and Cons
- Features to Keep an Eye on While Buying Good Baby Carrier for Newborn
- Importance of Buying a Baby Carrier for Newborn: The Stellar Benefits
- Wrapping up
1.BABYBJORN Baby Carrier
If I have to go for a classic and fuss-free front-facing baby carrier, the first brand that’d pop up in my mind would be BABYBJORN Original Carrier. It is great for first-time wearers who are worried about the comfort, safety, and practicality of baby carriers.
The reason why this seemingly plain-looking carrier has topped my list is its smart design that ensures optimal comfort. Not just for the baby but also for the wearer. This particular product features wider shoulder straps, back support and waist belts, allowing for better weight distribution. This makes it easy for the parent to carry their baby for hours without feeling fatigued.
You can sneak in your precious little one in this carrier from the very first day of life till he turns a year old. It can handle babies of up to 24 pounds and offers two carrying positions: facing in and out.
Due to the no-frills, snap-on backing design, it’s super easy to get the babies in and out of the carrier. The buckles in this carrier are color-coded and produce satisfying a “click” sound, assuring you that you have fastened the carrier properly.
- Keeps the newborn remain in the correct position.
- Provides adequate head, back, and hip support.
- Ensures secure fastening with safety click.
- Two-part design lets you easily uncover a sleeping baby.
- Allows two positions- baby facing in and out.
- Probably won’t be able to use it when the baby is older though, as it doesn’t have much back support.
2. Baby K’tan Baby Wrap Carrier
A simple and streamlined carrier that doesn’t come with intricate wraps and complex tying mechanisms. That’s Baby K’tan in a nutshell for you, the best wrap carrier for newborn for beginner baby wearers.
There are no buckles, slings or zippers to deal with here. It’s ready-to-wear out of the box. Put it on like a t-shirt and boom! Its patented double-loop design keeps the wearer comfortable by reducing the strain from the shoulder and neck.
It also helps with the even weight distribution of the baby’s body. Talking about weight, it has a max capacity of 35 pounds. You can easily carry your baby for 12-18 months in it. It keeps your baby snuggle in the frog position, which closely resembles a baby’s position in a mother’s womb. It aids proper spine and hip support.
However, I should note down that the comfort and ease-of-use solely depend on the size you choose.
- Lets you adjust the carrier and switch positions in a jiffy.
- It comes with a sash that could be tied for extra support.
- Doesn’t put stress on a newborn’s delicate spine and hip.
- Easy to toss in the diaper bag and store.
- No complex wrapping mechanism.
- Not a one–size-fits-all carrier. Thus, cannot be shared with a caregiver.
3.Moby Classic Baby Wrap Carrier
Another ideal example of a well-designed wrap baby carrier. Thanks to the custom fitting and soft, breathable material, it’s super easy to pop in a newborn in this carrier. It allows you to carry the baby in front-inward position. From my personal experience, I can tell you that babies fall asleep faster in this “warm embrace” position.
I loved the fact that it is a one-size-fits-all carrier. You will have no problem sharing it with your partner or a caregiver. The wide fabric covers your entire back and crosses your shoulder, providing an extremely secure fit.
This unique design also aids even weight distribution, thus taking the strain off your neck and shoulder. It can carry weights from 8-33 lbs. Tying the wraps can be a little tough at first but there are tons of instructional videos available to save your day.
You can easily adjust the wrap for custom fitting and changing the position of the baby. It allows the mothers to discreetly breastfeed the baby in a park or airport.
Due to its wide fabric cover along with easily customizable fitting, you can hold the baby into a great position for breastfeeding. If you are specifically looking for the best baby carrier for breastfeeding a newborn, it’s worth checking out.
- The newborn can be put to an ideal position for breastfeeding.
- Highly secure fit.
- Can be adjusted for different body sizes.
- Doesn’t cause back pain to the wearer.
- 360-degree support providing freedom of movement.
- Dense material, great for wrapping the baby in cold weather.
- The fabric is really long and multilayered. Can cause discomfort in hot and humid weather.
4.Sleepy Wrap Ergo Carrier
This baby wrap by Sleepy Wrap is designed to fit all body sizes and ensures the highest comfort for a newborn. From birth to his first birthday, these comfy baby carrier could be his constant companion for the first year of his life. With a weight capacity of 35 pounds, you can safely use it for babywearing heavy newborn kids.
I noticed that it looks a lot like Moby and provides the same secure fit. All these at a much lesser price! On a limited budget, this is one of those rare products that doesn’t compromise with the quality and convenience.
Talking about maintaining the quality, I was darn impressed by the material they have used for lining the inside. It is super stretchy and therefore, easier to custom fit. Like Moby, this one also allows you to position the baby correctly for breastfeeding.If you are looking for the best baby carrier for nursing a newborn at an affordable price, this is probably the one.
On the downside, the fabric is really dense, which is why it can get hot quickly. I would recommend this wrap for cold climate only. Otherwise, your baby can feel hot and uncomfortable.
- Stretchy material allows for a snug-fitting.
- Baby feels comfortable and sleeps well in a wrap.
- Easy to put the baby in and out.
- Uniformly distributes the infant’s weight to reduce fatigue.
- One-size-fits-all design.
- Affordable and value for money.
- The material is thick and therefore, only suitable for cold weather.
- Can be a little tricky to put on in the beginning.
5.Boba Baby Wrap Carrier
The next one to grace my list of the best carriers for newborn is quite a popular name in this industry. Like most carriers in this segment, it has a weight capacity of 35 lbs. and allows you to carry the infant front inward.
What makes this carrier truly stand out is the material used in it. Unlike plain cotton or polyester, it is made from French Terry Blend. It is 95% cotton and 5% Spandex. Let me explain why this makes Boba Baby Wrap the best soft baby carrier for infants in this segment.
The presence of Spandex brings just a tiny amount of elasticity in the fabric. It is a good thing because it will prevent the wrap from getting loose from hours of use. The blend of cotton and Spandex also makes the material soft and moisture-wicking. It is washing machine safe as well, so brownie points for easy maintenance.
The design is fairly simple and straightforward. There are no buckles, zippers or any other contraptions to fiddle with for a secure fit. I agree that tying the wrap properly takes a bit of practice. But once you get the hang of it, you will be able to put it on under 2 minutes.
- No intricate wraps to deal with.
- Uses intelligent fabric to provide a snug fit and promote healthy hip development.
- Doesn’t sag after a lot of stretching.
- Machine washable.
- Can be comfortably worn for hours.
- Some users have said that the material is really thick. Can cause discomfort in hot weather.
6.Baby Tula Free-to-Grow Baby Carrier
This soft structured baby carrier has to be one of the most practically designed carriers I’ve ever come across. The makers got the design inspiration from a couple of women working in the field while babywearing.
The most standout feature of this carrier is that it grows with your baby. It supports the weight range of 7-45 lbs. Add to the high weight capacity, the panels of the carrier are also wide and long enough to support a growing toddler. Its multiple height and width adjustment options truly make it one of the best baby carriers for newborn to toddler in its price range.
The waistband of this carrier is thicker than we see in most products. The thickness of the band helps with the effective distribution of the baby’s weight, allowing for a pain-free, comfortable babywearing experience. Free-to-go doesn’t require an infant insert. It comes with its own adjustable, ergonomic seat and head support.
You can adjust the height using the panels on the shoulder straps. Use the buckles on the sides to tweak the width. At the highest setting, you can easily carry heavy babies of 9+ months. After making the adjustments, tighten the buckles on the waist strap. The basics setup is done.
When you hear the “click” sound, it means that the carrier is ready for your baby. Put on straps, place your baby in and pull the panels up. Your baby could be facing in or out, up to you.
The price is a little on the higher side, though. But if you want to ensure optimal comfort for your little bugs bunny, money shouldn’t matter.
- Can support the weight of a newborn as well as a toddler.
- Multiple height and width settings.
- Thick waistband for additional support and stability.
- Designed to fit small to plus size wearers.
- Comes with add-ons like waistband pocket and removable hood.
- Expect a lot of fatigue and discomfort if you fail to adjust the straps and buckles properly.
7.LILLEbaby Six position Carrier
Although soft structured baby carriers can be a little costly, these are the best type of carrier for active parents with newborns. I consider this carrier from LILLEbaby the best soft structured carrier for a newborn baby for a lot of reasons.
The material of the carrier has the right amount of softness and stretchiness. I know many parents often worry that the dense fabric of these carriers can get too hot, causing immense discomfort to the baby. Thankfully, this one features a 3D mesh panel that’ll keep your baby cool and chillaxed in the annoying hot weather.
Combined with the multiple adjustment points and six carrying positions, this baby carrier truly grows with your child. The structure is sturdy, the panels are wide and it has a weight range of 7-45 lbs, making it suitable for toddlers as well.
The lumbar support at the bottom of the carrier is a blessing for the wearer. It uniformly distributes the baby’s weight so that you can do your tasks without getting bogged down by back pain. You’ll also love the fact that the straps can be worn in a cross position. It further reduces the load from your back and shoulder.:
- Can seamlessly carry both newborns and heavy toddler babies.
- 3D mesh panel and an adjustable hood for all-weather comfort.
- Well-padded straps and zipper pockets make traveling with baby a cakewalk.
- Lumbar support for reduced back pain.
- Headrest and an adjustable hood for complete protection.
- You will have to completely take off the carrier to change the position of the baby.
Ergobaby Omni 360 is unarguably one of the most comfortable carriers from this reputed manufacturer till date. You can wear it and take a walk for over 2 hours without hurting your back. All the credit goes to the long, wide and well-padded waistband.
You could adjust the seat width by simply tweaking the waistband. Add to that, instead of regular straps, this one uses cross straps. This aids in an effective weight distribution. So more good news for your shoulder, neck, and back.
It offers 3 carrying positions. Switching the positions are pretty simple, thanks to the one-handed slide adjustment. There are multiple features to ensure maximum security and comfort, e.g movable head support, safety buckles, strap width adjustment.
It is suitable for little ones from 7-45 lbs. It can be a constant companion of your newborn for the first 2 years of his life. Thanks to the well-built soft structure and adjustable internal straps, the comfort of the wearer remains unaffected as the baby keeps growing heavier. This is one of the key features to look for while shopping for the best baby carrier for heavy babies.
- Has tons of features like headrest, large zippered pockets, safety buckles, and adjustable straps.
- An easily adjustable waistband for back support.
- Comfortable to carry large and heavy babies in.
- Machine washable material.
- The fabric doesn’t get hot.
- You need to be flexible to tighten the straps and buckles.
- Not ideal for petite babywearers as the straps are heavy and the waistband is quite long.
9.Hip Baby Wrap Ring Sling Baby Carrier
Ring slings are awesome. They offer the warmth and convenience of a wrap without all complicated wrapping part.Hip Baby Ring Sling Carrier is by far the best ring sling for newborn babies due to its ease-of-use, secure fit and durable build quality.
It is made from a soft, handwoven fabric dyed with-toxic colors. It not only looks pretty but is comfortable to wear in the hottest days of the year too. The long tail fabric and highly adjustable sling help you maintain privacy while nursing the baby on-the-go.
The extra long fabric makes it a great choice for plus size mommies. This will also help with the effective weight distribution of the baby. The more even weight distribution it offers, the lesser the strain on your back.
It can be used for both tummy-to-tummy and hip carrying. The tummy-to-tummy position is ideal for newborns as it soothes them and makes them fall asleep quickly.
Bring the ring sling down to the hip when the infant grows larger and heavier. Considering the weight capacity range of 8-35 lbs, I would say that it is more geared towards chubby newborns and toddlers.
- Very soft and breathable material.
- Available in amazing colors and prints.
- Long tail fabric offers great privacy while breastfeeding in public places.
- Ideal for big newborn babies and toddlers.
- The ergonomic design reduces back strain.
- Machine washable. If you are afraid that the ring will damage your washing machine, simply cover the ring with a sock. Use an elastic band to secure the sock to the ring. It will also prevent the clanking.
- Putting on the sling and getting the correct fit takes quite a bit of practice.
10.Ring Sling Mesh Baby Wrap Carrier
Lined with silky and moisture-wicking polyester jersey mesh fabric, this is one of the best baby carriers for newborn in summer. The long fabric can be easily manipulated to get privacy while nursing a newborn in public places.
The fabric resembles swimsuit materials. The 100% polyester jersey mesh fabric keeps the carrier light and breathable in water for max comfort. And since it is a plastic material, it also dries out in a jiffy. Therefore, it is ideal for babywearing in the shower, at the beach, waterpark or pool, our favorite hangout spots in summer.
As long as the fitting is correct, it will create a safe haven for your little one. The soft fabric and snug fit will instantly soothe a crying baby and make him snooze off.
It’s a soft and lightweight carrier. So you can easily toss it in the diaper bag and hit the beach. Since the material is plastic, it dries quickly and you don’t have to worry about discoloration either.
Extra points go to the padded railings that prevent your infant’s thighs from chafing. The sling itself is wide and long enough to be used as a protective cover against the sun. To ensure the comfort of the parents and caregivers, the shoulder has a decent amount of padding too. Adjusting the sling is a breeze and it can safely handle babies up to 30 lbs.
- Breathable material, ideal for babywearing in the shower or pool.
- The mesh fabric allows plenty of airflow to keep the baby cool.
- Padded shoulder strap and railings.
- Easy storage in diaper bags.
- Easy adjustments.
- Some users have complained that the fabric in this one slips out of the ring hole.
Baby Carrier for Newborn- Buying Guide
Baby carriers are my first choice when I have to go for grocery shopping or do something fun like mountain hiking with my baby. Navigating the roads while babywearing is so much easier than pushing a stroller.
However, if you are jogging, taking a walk at the park, store or beach with two kids, a double umbrella stroller is your safest bet.
But since this article is about baby carriers, I won’t deflect from the main topic. Now that you have a bunch of recommendations, it’s time for the screening process. How to find out which is the perfect baby carrier for newborn for your personal needs and budget?
There’s only one trick. Gather as much information as you can about baby carriers. For starters, we don’t we start by learning the different types of carriers available?
Different Types of Baby Carriers and Their Individual Pros and Cons
Baby carriers have 3 distinct styles:
- Wraps: I have seen many parents freaking out while trying to tie a long piece of fabric around their bodies. I can empathize. It was intimidating for me too in the beginning. But tell you what, wraps are actually the most secure type of carriers for newborns.
The tiniest babies can be fitted snugly into a wrap carrier if you pay enough attention. While other types of carriers have a strict weight limit, the stretchy fabric of these carriers can be seamlessly adapted to the size of a toddler as well.
- Slings: This kind of carriers are worn over one shoulder and tied across your torso. While it is easier to put on than wraps, it can put a strain on your back and engaged shoulder. Since most ring slings use a slippery polyester fabric, the sling often slips out of the ring.
However, once you get the hang of it, it is supremely comfortable for both the baby and the wearer. The material is breathable, therefore, keeps the baby cool in summer. Most ring slings also feature padded railings to protect your infant’s little leg from chafing.
- Soft Structured Carriers: These carriers are just like backpacks for carrying tiny babies. These can be worn both at the front and back. I personally find it very convenient for babywearing during extensive traveling. Most carriers offer face inward and upward positions. They come with tons of buckles and straps to provide the ultimate secure fit.
On the downside, most of these carriers are lined with dense, layered fabric that can get really hot and cause discomfort. You should consider buying them only if you live in a moderate or extremely cold climatic region.
Features to Keep an Eye on While Buying Good Baby Carrier for Newborn
There are so many important features to take into consideration that it can be overwhelming. If you are finding yourself in a pool of dilemma, here’s a list of 5 key aspects to focus on:
1.Comfort: Comfort is the key. This applies to both the baby and the wearer. A soft, lightweight and breathable material doesn’t trap the heat inside. This maintains a good airflow, keeping the baby cool and at peace all the time.
Well-padded base straps, shoulder straps, cross straps, and waistbands take the strain off your shoulder, preventing fatigue.
2.Fitting: It is just as important as comfort and applies to both parties. Choose a size that fits the baby wearer snugly, neither too tight nor too loose.
You know the fitting is spot-on when you can kiss your little bundle of joy without leaning and feel his heartbeat. If it’s too tight, it can block the baby’s airway. So beware!
3.Spacious: No matter which type of carrier you buy, it should have plenty of legroom to aid the infant’s natural movement. A wide seat keeps the baby’s legs wide apart, in “M” position. It protects your newborn against hip dysplasia.
4.Climate Perfect: If you are living or traveling to a cold region, a soft structured or wrap carrier will be ideal for your baby. These carriers seats are generously padded and use thick fabric to keep the kiddo warm.
For hot and humid weather, choose a carrier lined with lightweight, breathable mesh fabric or handwoven cotton cloth.
5.Ease of Use: If you have read everything I have written so far, you have probably got the idea that putting on a carrier isn’t exactly a cakewalk. Be it wrap, ring slings or soft structured, configuring every baby carrier requires some skill set.
Having said that, ring slings and soft structured carrier have a relatively easier process than wrap carriers. However, once you get the hang of a wrap carrier, there’s no looking back. With wraps, it is super easy to change the position of the baby, especially while breastfeeding.
Importance of Buying a Baby Carrier for Newborn: The Stellar Benefits
Most parents will unanimously agree with me if I say that baby carriers are one of the best inventions of all time. Here are some of the major benefits of using a carrier:
- It keeps your baby close to your heart while you are doing your day-to-day tasks.
- The close physical contact with baby strengthens bonding and prevents postpartum depression.
- It makes walking through crowded spaces with a newborn super easy.
- A research shows that carrying a baby reduces his chance of crying by 43%.
- Long tail fabrics allow you to get some privacy while breastfeeding.
Buying a gear for a newborn who is as delicate as a flower is no easy task. We have to pay extra attention to every tiny detail. As long as you purchase the right model and skillfully configure the settings, your newborn will enjoy being carried. And I think we, the parents, are fine with searching the entire web world just to find that one perfect carrier for our little one.
If you have read this entire piece, you have probably made up your mind by now. In case you are still in doubt, I’d suggest you go with BABYBJORN Baby Carrier.
Its the best baby carrier for newborn from every aspect. Easier to adjust than most other similar priced carriers, and super comfortable for both the baby and the wearer. That’s pretty much everything I look for in a baby carrier.